Monday, January 14, 2008

Resolutions & Reflections...

Here's an article from the "Counting the Cost" e-zine that I subscribe to. If you'd like more info in this regard, there's a link on the left. Lots of good stuff there! Anyway, this article really hit me in many of the areas that I'm trying to improve this year. If you're reading this blog, I'm guessing you're trying to make improvements in similar areas of your life, so I thought I'd share it with you. Below is a reprint of the article. What I've done is similar to something the editor of 'Dollar Stretcher' (another e-zine that I subscribe to)has done. After each article, Gary Foreman writes something called, "Take the next step," where he reflects on the article and jots down a few action steps that can be taken to apply the information contained in the article. So, after each "Resolution" written below, I have offered my "next steps"- insights and actions- in italics:


Feature Article:
5 Resolutions for a Simpler 2008
by Nancy Twigg, Editor

If one of your goals for 2008 was to simplify your life,here are five positive steps you can take to toward attaining that goal:

1. Resolve to Use Credit Less, Pay with Cash More
When you pay with cash, you tend to be more careful and more intentional about your purchases. Something about counting out the bills and seeing the empty space left in your wallet causes you to think twice about purchases. Using cash not only helps you avoid credit card debt, but it also simplifies your life by helping you to avoid accumulating stuff you don’t need (i.e. more stuff to end up as clutter in your home). This is something that I am definitely doing with the money that is left over after bills are paid! That should keep me from spending more than I have and give me a good picture of how much I have, how much is left, etc. If there's one thing I've learned in working with autistic children, it's the power of a visual- being able to see something in black and white (or green, in the case of money).

2. Resolve to Say “Yes” Less, “I’ll Get Back with You” More
How many times do you say “Yes,” too quickly and then regret it later? One lifesaver in helping to control busyness is to make it a habit to say, “Let me check with my spouse first,” or “Let me check my schedule and get back with you” when asked to do something. Your spouse can usually give a much more honest assessment of whether or not you should say “Yes” than you can come up with on your own. Also, the simple act of delaying your answer will help you avoid committing yourself without thinking it through. Yay for me! This is something that I'm (finally) getting better at. I've realized that my children are at crucial ages and stages- the beginnings of their formal educations- and I need to have more time to be there for them, to help them and support them. When I first had kids, I cut waaay back on many of my volunteer activities. As time went along, and the kids got a little older and more independent, I started taking on a few more and then a few more activities. They added up, piled up, and attacked myself and my family. Individually, no one activity seemed like too much (write a Kids' Page for the church newsletter once a month? no biggie... lead the youth group for 2 hours on Sunday night? sure, it'll be fun... practice with the bell choir for an hour-and-a-half on Saturday morning? no problem...) but collectively, it took it's toll. Now, I don't say yes right away and many times, I find that there is someone else who is willing and able to step in and do the things that I always thought I had to do.

3. Resolve to Hold onto Less, Let go of More
Decluttering is a major part of simplifying. If household clutter is an issue for you, ask yourself, “Why am I holding onto this stuff?” What issue or need does the clutter represent that you need to deal with on a deeper level? There is great satisfaction in creating open spaces where there was once just junk. Also, there is joy in blessing others by sharing those things you no longer use. Learn to let go of those things that don’t add value to your life so you can truly enjoy those things that do. This is definitely still an area of struggle for me. I understand the idea behind having less and enjoying it more... about how it will make life easier and more peaceful. But, finding the time and the energy to deal with what's already been accumulated is difficult for me. Slowly, very slowly, I am making progress.

4. Resolve to Rush Less, Slow Down More
Be honest with yourself. Usually the reason you rush is because you have over-committed yourself, or have given an inordinate amount of time to things of lesser importance. Make a commitment to weed out some of those trivial things so you don’t have to rush through the crucial things. At those times when you are rushed, make it a habit to take a mental step back and evaluate what’s going on (why you are so pressed for time) and what adjustments or deletions you could make to stop the pattern of always being under the gun. Another area I'm working on. I've weeded out most committments- gone cold turkey, as a matter of fact- and just dropped everything. Slowly and thoughtfully, I can add some things back in, keeping my priorities in mind. I'm also trying to evaluate some of the systems that we have in place (or, in some instances, the lack of and need to put systems in place) so that I can make some changes and adjustments to make our lives run a little more smoothly. At least, that's how it's working for me.

5. Resolve to Say Move More, Snack Less
Without a doubt, illness complicates your life. Being healthy and living a healthy lifestyle simplifies life by giving you the energy and stamina to enjoy life. A big part of being healthy is exercising and watching what you eat. No matter what your weight or fitness level is, you can reap the benefits of incorporating more movement into your day and trimming down the between-meal snacks. Just those two changes can make a difference in your stress level and your overall health and well-being. This (less illness, more health) is the major impetus for me changing my lifestyle (not dieting). I am trying to incorporate more movement into my days. Since time at home with my family is at a premium, I am trying to do this in ways that don't interfere with that... parking further away from the door at work, taking the stairs, trying to fidget more, dancing, going to the park with the kids and playing, etc. These are simple, little changes that I can make while preserving time with my family (as opposed to visiting a fitness center while the kids are with a sitter, etc.). Right now, this is what is working for me. In the future, other things (like bringing the exercise bike into the house or taking walks outside, as the weather warms up) can be added to increase the impact without taking away from our family time.

No comments: