Monday, March 3, 2008

Monday Night Money

Check-In: $5609.45

I'd like to say that this large balance is due to us being really good about spending (or not spending) our money. But, I have to credit Uncle Sam with this one. Our tax return came through! Now comes the fun job of sitting down and figuring out exactly where all of this money will go. It's not that I don't have any idea of where to put it (or what to put it toward), it's that I have too many ideas about where to put this money! So, it's time to crunch the numbers and prioritize. I'll let you know how things come out. I also need to do my March budget/ calendar tonight. I've come to the realization that I really need to narrow my focus and step up my budget plan. Now that I've got a good grasp of the monthly bills (and the ability to pay the rent and car payment earlier in the month, thanks to the tax refund), I need to sit down and "assign" an expense to each penny (according to Dave Ramsey). I don't know if I can get it down to the penny, but some assignation needs to be done and I've got to get back into the envelopes or, at the very least, ONLY carrying cash with me. I've decided that my bank card is my downfall, so we are parting ways... at least having a trial separation. The bank card is moving out of my wallet/ checkbook and into a new home. So I guess- to take a cue from my sister's blog- my money goals for this week are:
1. Develop a list of needs and wants and prioritize that list to determine what to do with our tax refund.
2. Complete the calendar/ budget sheet for March.
3. Assign the leftovers... what will I do with the money that's left over after paying bills?
4. Remove the bank card from my wallet/ checkbook! Do not carry my bank card or checkbook with me!

No comments: